Deadbolts are arguably the strongest and most effective type of door lock. Their unique design and function make them a preferred choice for those who want to enhance the security of their homes or businesses. In fact, when compared to standard doorknob locks, a deadbolt installation provides an added layer of protection against break-ins and unauthorized entries.
What is a Deadbolt and Why is it Important?
A deadbolt is a type of lock that requires a key or thumb turn to move the bolt into the locked position. Unlike spring latch locks, deadbolts don’t have springs, which means they cannot be easily jimmied open with a credit card or other tools, hence reducing the likelihood of emergencies. According to a report by ScienceDaily, a majority of burglars will bypass a house if it requires too much effort or if they detect enhanced security features, such as deadbolt locks.
The two primary types of deadbolts are:
- Single Cylinder Deadbolt: This type uses a key on the outside and a thumb turn on the inside to lock or unlock the door.
- Double Cylinder Deadbolt: Requires a key to lock or unlock the door from both the inside and outside. Although it provides added security, it can pose safety issues during emergencies.
Installing a Deadbolt: Key Steps
1. Choose the Right Deadbolt: The first step is to choose a deadbolt that matches your door’s thickness and style. Deadbolts come in various finishes and styles to complement your door and home decor.
2. Measure and Mark: Using a template (which usually comes with the deadbolt), mark the positions where you will drill the holes. It’s important to ensure that the holes are straight; otherwise, the deadbolt may not function correctly.
3. Drilling: With a hole saw, drill a hole for the deadbolt into the face of the door. Then, drill a hole into the edge of the door for the bolt to slide into.
4. Install the Bolt and Cylinder: Slide the bolt into the edge hole and secure it with screws. Insert the outer cylinder (keyed part) and then the inner cylinder, aligning them properly. Tighten them together with screws.
5. Strike Plate Installation: Finally, install the strike plate on the door frame, ensuring it aligns with the bolt. This is where the bolt enters to lock the door.
Benefits of Professional Deadbolt Installation
While many individuals opt for DIY installation, there are benefits to professional installation:
- Expertise: Professionals have the expertise to install the deadbolt correctly, providing maximum security.
- Time-saving: What might take a layman hours can be efficiently done by a professional in a much shorter span.
- Guarantee: Many locksmiths offer guarantees on their work, ensuring peace of mind for the homeowner.
In fact, an article from The Spruce emphasizes the importance of having a qualified locksmith assess your overall door security, especially when installing double-cylinder deadbolts due to the associated safety concerns.
Lucky Key Locksmith: Your Go-to Deadbolt Installation Experts in Las Vegas
Deadbolt installation may seem straightforward, but one small misalignment can compromise the security it’s intended to provide. This is where Lucky Key Locksmith comes in. Serving the Las Vegas community, our team has the experience, tools, and dedication to ensure that your deadbolt installation is done right the first time.
At Lucky Key Locksmith, we understand that your safety and the safety of your loved ones is paramount. With our top-notch services and commitment to customer satisfaction, you can be assured that your home or business security is in capable hands.
For those in Las Vegas considering an upgrade to their security or a fresh installation, remember: a deadbolt is only as good as its installation. Trust in the expertise of Lucky Key Locksmith to get the job done right.